Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Can two people fit in a bed this skinny?

Yep, as narrow as this bed is, it's where Tom and I both slept - for the brief stints when sleep was possible - on Sunday night. Tommy is happily at home now, but we were squeezed into this scrawny bed because it's in the hospital room where Tommy ended up when a cold turned into asthma.

Well, I thought I'd have written more posts by now, and I thought we'd be on a road trip to visit my family today. But not much has gone like I thought it would since Thursday night, with the unexpected trip to the ER and hospital being the best example. Mostly, we are thankful to God that Tommy is OK and grateful for the care he was given by the doctors and nurses at Warren Memorial. Along with that, though, we're so disappointed to miss our visit with my parents, four siblings, sister-in-law, two nieces, and three nephews, including one nephew whom we have not met yet!

I can't pretend to know why things happen the way they do, but I'm grateful for what the past couple days have taught me. I had been worrying and stressing about getting my work hours in, packing, etc. and none of it happened. What did happen was much more difficult than all the things I'd been stressing about, but in the moment I was given the strength I needed. Feeling awful on Sunday night, I told Tom I HAD to go to bed as soon as we finished Tommy's breathing treatment at 10pm. Instead of getting better, Tommy got much worse, so instead of going to bed, I spent most of the night helping with Tommy and driving home to pick up clothes, Tommy's stuffed animals, etc. Somehow, though, I made it to Monday at 7pm, when I REALLY had to go to bed and did. When I woke up at 2am it was with a great feeling of relief as I realized Tommy was peacefully sleeping and of gratitude to Tom to taking over and getting everyone to bed so I could crash.

At the hospital.
So, the moral should be trust and don't worry, but being a realist, I'll work on trusting more and worrying less!

No comments:

Post a Comment